Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Courage and Creativity

On Monday Jeannie and I began the readings in the book Returning to Holiness by Gregory Frizzell. I am grateful for the 40-Day plan that allows us time to really reflect on the scriptures and on the probing questions. If you have started this 40-Day journey too (and I hope that you have!), by now you have realized that the questions, if taken seriously, are indeed very probing! As God begins to work on my thought life, I am grateful to have the opportunity to give additional time to this reflection. The Bible is clear that the transforming process of becoming like Jesus begins with allowing God to shape our minds. I am challenged to grasp what it really means to think about the things of God more than the daily routines. I am pretty sure it doesn’t mean thinking about the programs of the church! I would love to hear from you what it means to you to think more about the things of God than the things of this world. Do you find that hard? I hope you will comment on what you are beginning to learn through reading Dr. Frizzell’s book.

I have also been reading a book entitled, “Reaching People under 40 while Keeping People over 60.” Does that sound like a challenge or what?! That book along with a book based on research from Willow Creek Church entitled, “REVEAL,” have been challenging my thoughts over the last few days. The sub-title for the “Reaching People under 40…” book is: “Being Church for All Generations.” Does that sound like a challenge? Both of these books are helping me to begin to grasp the future possibilities for our church. They have challenged me to go back and examine the ministry of Jesus and the early church for their priorities. I certainly don’t know all of the answers, but I do know this – I want to be focusing on the priorities of Jesus and His commission, not what allows me to stay comfortable or what is easy.

Where we are staying in Oxford is a great place to think about those kinds of challenges. One of the features of the Angus Library here at Regent’s Park College is a collection of memorabilia from William Carey (including the couch where he died!). William Carey was the founder of the modern missionary movement. He was an English Baptist and he wanted to go to India to take the gospel. When he sought support, he was basically told “that if God wants to save the heathen in India, He can do it without us!” That didn’t stop Carey, he just found another way to accomplish what God was calling him to do. I pray that same kind of courage and creativity will characterize our lives.

1 comment:

NickTheITGuy said...

Hey guys, hope you are having a great time. Try to do some relaxing, too! :)