Monday, May 19, 2008

Running the Race


This weekend I participated in a race here at Oxford called the “Town and Gown 10K.” The name comes from a period in the history of Oxford when there was a sharp division between the members of the university and the rest of the city. The academics somewhat looked down on the townspeople and the townspeople thought the academics were snooty. At times it went beyond attitudes to violence. So the designation “town and gown” became a part of Oxford culture. One person I told about the race said he envisioned people running in academic robes and I actually saw on runner dressed that way! I ran in the race as a part of the “next step” theme of the sabbatical. It was a lot of fun! About 3300 people participated and the course wound through the streets of Oxford.

Sunday evening at the church we attended, St. Aldates, the sermon was about running the race from Philippians 3. The pastor talked about taking stock of what shape you were in before running and committing to consistent training. The message also focused on getting up when you fall and “shaking it off” and continuing on in the race in order to finish strong. Afterwards, I thought about my own experience in the race. Running the race was a parable of sorts for this whole sabbatical journey. I almost didn’t enter because of the difficulties in registration and I almost gave up but stuck with it and got in. I have to admit I was nervous about the race partly because I have not run a 10K in a long time and partly because I didn’t want to get injured or something this far from home. But I persevered and ran the whole way and even finished under my goal time! I didn’t finish first (or anywhere close) but I did complete the race.

One of the things in the sermon last night applying all of this to my spiritual life that was encouraging to me was the idea that the Holy Spirit in me wants me to finish strong, He wants me to persevere. He wants me to run all the way! The same is true for you. The Spirit is not only the power that enables you to run the race of faith, He is your biggest cheerleader, urging you along, pushing you to persevere. Keep running!

We are glad to hear of people reading the blog and keeping up with what’s happening. One of the things that is hard to keep comprehending is how old things are here. This church we worshipped in last night dates back to the 11th century! And yet we sang contemporary praise songs and watched a video screen! It is really cool to realize God has been and continues to work through all different forms of worship. Thanks for your prayers! We love and miss our church family.

2 comments:

Jim & Sarah said...

I am jealous! What a great race to run! Glad to hear you are enjoying your time and gleaning all kinds of truths from your surroundings. Things are going well here. Sarah & Micah started this week and I am so excited to see how God is going to use them to further His Kingdom. Take care!

chocola73 said...

I don't know how to "blog" either, but I enjoyed reading your info! I sent the link to a college friend of mine in Arlington. She attends SMU and will be studying in Oxford in July. Enjoy your time! I'm not sure how much REST you will be getting!
Phil 4:4!